Ketogenic diet – Tips, Secrets & Guides
Recently, many people all over the world are talking about a ketogenic diet. Is it right to take a ketogenic diet? Does ketogenic diet help to loose boy weight? Does ketogenic diet has any side effects?
In this article, we are going shed light on what is a ketogenic diet. A ketogenic diet is a low carbohydrate-high protein diet plan that helps in the reduction of body fat. It supplies necessary nutrients for human body growth and developments without storing an excessive amount of fat content. It causes the body to release ketone into the circulating blood.
The human body uses blood sugar as the primary source of energy for cellular metabolic activities. With low supply carbohydrates diet, blood sugar level decreases, allowing a body to break down fat content to ketones bodies. The process of breaking down fat to ketone bodies called ketosis.
What Ketogenic diet plan?
Changing from typical diet plan to ketogenic diet plan seems challenging, but you need to focus on reducing carbohydrates and increasing fat and protein content on your meals and snacks.
The consummation of carbohydrates must be limited to 20g to 50g varying from person to person to achieve ketosis. Generally, less the carbohydrates containing food, easier it is to achieve a and remain in a state of ketosis.
Types of ketogenic diet plan
- Standard ketogenic diet: 20 -50g of carbohydrates per day, moderate protein and high fat intake. Most commonly recommended version of the diet.
- Targeted ketogenic diet: 25-50g of carbohydrates before workouts.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet: some days of low carbohydrates followed by high carbs for a few days.
- High protein ketogenic diet: most recommended to the athlete with additional protein than the standard ketogenic diet.
what are ketogenic diet ingredients?
While following ketogenic diet meals and snacks should be centred around these foods which contain low carbohydrates.
- Fats and oils: fats from natural sources of like coconut oil, olive oil, fish oil, Mayonnaise, ghee
- Protein: beef, lamb, poultry, eggs, pork, goat, turkey, bacon
- Vegetable: tomatoes, mushroom, green leafy vegetables
- Dairy: butter, cheese
- Nuts and Seeds: almond, milk, yoghurt hazelnuts, brazil nuts pecans
- Sweeteners: Sucralose, Stevia, Erythritol, Monk
- Condiments and sauces: ketchup mustard hot sauce
- Spices: chilly powder cinnamon cumin rosemary
- Beverage: water, sparkling water, coffee, green tea
Food which needs to must avoided being during the ketogenic diet plan.
- Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, candy, ice cream
- Grains or starches: rice, pasta, cereal wheat-based products
- Fruit: Apple, mangoes, all types of sweet berries
- Beans or legumes: Peas, beans, lentils, chicken beans
- Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, carrots sweet potatoes
- Alcohol: Any kinds of alcoholic products
Who should use the ketogenic diet?
Studies have shown it is beneficial to use a ketogenic diet by a person suffering from the following condition.
- Heart disease: ketogenic diet helps to reduce blood sugar, blood pressure cholesterol level, body fats which are the main risk factors causing heart disease.
- Acene: lower insulin level and lower sugar level in blood improves acene
- Cancer: ketogenic diet is being used to treat several types of cancer and slow tumour growth.
- Diabetes: lower blood sugar level and lower insulin level improves the person condition suffering from diabetes.
- Epilepsy: research has shown that a ketogenic diet has shown the massive reduction of seizure in epileptic children.
Not every person will be beneficial from the ketogenic-diet. Necessary health screening must be done to rule out health and medications contradictions before going to the diet plan.
The diet is not a good choice for people suffering from preexisting liver, kidney, pancreatic condition. It is not also safe for pregnant, nursing and a person who has gestational diabetes. So to avoid health risk from a ketogenic diet, one must consult a health professional before involving in the diet.
Will ketogenic diet beneficial losing weight?
Yes, the ketogenic diet is beneficial in the weight loss process. Apart from the low levels of carbohydrates intake, high amount of protein and fats need to take during a ketogenic diet plan. Low level of carbohydrates helps to mobilise glycogen to ketones as an energy source. The water stored with the glycogen is mobilised, and the person will start losing weight.
But if high carbohydrates are again taken, cells start to use blood sugar as energy sources. The excess blood sugar will be converted into glycogen and stored in different parts of the body. So the person needs to take into account how much carbohydrates to be taken daily to maintain body weight. Otherwise, the person will start to gain weight even after taking the ketogenic diet.